Thanks to modern technology, most of our questions can be answered in an instant. However, there are some things that just require more information before getting the answer. One of those things is the cost of home improvement projects.
You won’t know the exact price of your project without an in-person, professional estimate. However, you can get a rough figure of what the price will be. For estimating the cost of projects, we like to use Remodeling Magazine’s Cost vs. Value report.
Estimating the Cost of Your New Deck
Remodeling Magazine releases a report every year, which covers the Cost vs. Value on several home remodeling projects. It’s a tool that’s extra helpful because it shows you the cost of the project, side by side with how that type of project tends to hold its value. This criterion is known as return on investment (ROI).
Another thing we really like about this tool is that it’s localized for more than 100 specific regions. This allows you to zero in on the place you live and gather specific data.
According to Remodeling Magazine’s 2018 cost vs. value report:
- The national average cost to install a new deck is $10,950
- The average cost of a new mid-range wood deck in the Mid-Atlantic Region is $11,311 and adds an average of $8,530 to a home’s resale value
- The average cost of installing a mid-range wood deck in the Philadelphia area is $12,539 and adds an average of $9,202 to a home’s resale value.
This data came from a deck project involving the addition of a 16×20 foot deck with pressure-treated wooden joists supported by 4×4 inch post anchored onto concrete piers. It includes the cost of installing pressure-treated deck boards in a basic linear fashion, as well as a built-in bench and planter made of the same material. The costs include three graded steps and a railing system with pressure treated wood posts, railings, and balusters.
For more information, visit Remodeling Magazine’s website.
Factors that Can Lower or Raise the Cost
Considering these points can help you get a handle on whether your job will cost more or less than average.
- Labor costs vary from job site to job site.
- In order to provide an accurate estimate, your contractor will need to visit your home and get an idea of any existing conditions that could affect labor.
- Different homeowners have different ideas of how they want their new deck to look.
- Make sure you inform your contractor of any specific wants you have for your finished deck project. Different types of decks require different materials and labor, both of which affect the cost.
- In simple terms, the cost of your project will be the cost of the labor added to the cost of the supplies.
Remember, backyards are great for spending time with family and friends, and it’s hard to put a price on quality time with loved ones!
Curious about the price of a different remodeling project? We’ve addressed other pricing questions, including the cost of windows, doors, siding, and patios. Learn more about our deck services on our decks page.