In recent years, we’ve gotten used to being able to check the prices of whatever product or service we’re looking for with just a few clicks. Unfortunately, there are certain things that you just can’t do that with, and one of them is home improvements.
There are just too many factors that can influence the cost. The specific service and products, the condition of the home, and the style of the new item you select all play a big role.
While the only way to know for sure is to have a professional assess your property in person, it is possible to find a ballpark estimate, using resources like Remodeling Magazine.
The Price of Replacing Your Door
Remodeling Magazine releases a cost vs. value report every year which lets us know how much a service costs on average vs. how much value it adds to your home.
At Milanese Remodeling, we really appreciate Remodeling Magazine’s comprehensive approach to reporting these numbers. They analyze 100 markets, so you can find detailed data on your specific state, region, and city.
According to Remodeling Magazine’s 2018 cost vs. value report:
- The national average cost to replace a steel entryway door retains 75% of its value at resale.
- The average cost of a mid-range steel front door in the Mid-Atlantic Region is $1,900 and adds an average of $1,489 to a home’s resale value
- The average cost of a steel front door in the Philadelphia area is $1,471 and adds an average of $1,344 to a home’s resale value.
The above data was pulled from a project involving:
- Removing a 3-0/6-8 entry door and the door jambs.
- Replacing it with a new 20-gauge steel door with a clear dual-pane half-glass panel, new door jambs, and an aluminum threshold with a composite stop.
- A door with a factory finish and the same color on both sides.
- An exterior brick-mold and 2.5 inch colonial or ranch casings in poplar or equal prefinished to match the door color.
- Replacing the existing lockset.
Factors That Affect the Cost of a New Door
Remodeling Magazine’s Cost vs. Value report is a great place for homeowners to get started in the early stages of planning a remodeling project. However, to get the most accurate estimate, you will need to consult a professional.
An experienced, license remodeler who you trust is the best source for estimating how much your specific project will cost you. The price of the project can vary greatly, due to things like:
- Variance in labor costs due to existing conditions.
- In order to get an accurate estimate on home improvement projects, homeowners will need to schedule an on-site consultation with a remodeling professional. The remodeling professional will then inspect the existing conditions at the home, which will allow them to accurately estimate labor costs.
- Since the products you select will influence the price of the project, your personal tastes and needs play a role in the cost of the project.
- During your consultation, you can discuss any problems you have with your existing door and how you want your next door to be different. That will allow your remodeling crew to calculate the estimated cost of the required materials.
- The remodeler will add the labor estimate to the estimated cost of the products to determine the estimated total cost of the project.
How much does it cost to install a garage door?
To install a single new garage door it should cost between $500 and $800. They demonstrate that the average homeowner can usually tackle such a project in a nine hour time span than Tip Top Garage Doors – Nashville TN professional will be able to complete it in roughly five hours. Should it be a DIY project? Not really, most housing experts point out that it is a two-person job, requires advanced carpentry skills, and even knowledge of household electronic systems.
Additional considerations and costs
- Widths – in addition to doors coming in a range of styles, they can be found as double-width and single-width styles. There are some serious considerations when opting for one over the other. For example, if a homeowner decides to use a single door that covers the entire opening of a two-car garage they will have to make serious structural modifications to the entry way;
- Lighting – many homeowners also opt to install some exterior lighting at the same time as the new door. This is because they have the licensed electrician on the site, and asking for more than a single task usually reduces overall costs;
- Steel entry doors – when a garage is being fitted with new doors, it is also a good idea to consider a separate single 3×68 exterior door with half-glass and locksets too. These may require some carpentry, but they are a good way to allow for some flexibility in the choice of larger garage door, and can ensure that the homeowner will have more than a single way in or out of the structure. The average costs for such a feature range from $250 to $1000 each.
Keep in mind, a new door will retain its value, but that is before taking into account the money you will save on heating and cooling from your home. An outdated or ill-fitting door can result in lots of heat or cooling loss through the cracks. Your door is one of our 3 ways your home could be losing heat in winter.
Plus, you’ll also be able to enjoy the instant value of living in an attractive, comfortable home. Check out our tips for choosing the entryway that best suits your home.