Some of our clients believe that because they have a small backyard, they are going to be limited in achieving their dream outdoor oasis.
While there are certain challenges with designing a backyard in a smaller space, it’s no match for us!
While these backyards were small, the addition of things like retractable awnings, landscaping sitting walls, and patios make them functional and pleasant.
Check out our 6 tips for creating a great backyard, even when your space is limited.
6 Tips to Make the Most of Your Small Yard
- Try Container Gardening: If you don’t have space for a big garden or flower beds, container gardening can come in handy, and you can choose the containers that suit your style.
- Make a Statement: Center your patio around a focal point. Maybe it’s your outdoor dining table, a fountain, Jacuzzi, or a beautiful arrangement of potted plants. Having a key piece to anchor your design helps give you direction when laying out the space.
- Create Multiple Levels: By creating a patio or deck, sitting wall, and steps, you break your yard into several mini rooms, resulting in a more functional patio.
- Make Use of Vertical Space: Your horizontal space may be limited, but when in doubt, look up! Sitting walls and hanging baskets all make use of your vertical space while saving you room in the other direction.
- Choose Furniture Carefully: Clunky outdoor benches or porch swings may not be for you, but that doesn’t mean you can’t create a comfy space to relax outdoors. Keep an eye out for sleek, simple furniture. A minimalist approach will go a long way.
- Add an Awning: If you’re feeling cooped up in your house, it’s nice to be able to escape to the backyard. An awning allows you to do this, even if it’s hot or rainy!
Creating the Dream Yard that Works for You
No matter the size of your yard, there are ways to transform your exterior into a fun space for you to spend quality time with your family and friends. To get started on your exterior remodeling, contact us.